Mineola is a village in the Town of Hempstead in Nassau County, New York. The village is served by the Mineola Union Free School District. Mineola was originally part of the area called Hempstead Plains, with many smaller settlements scattered throughout it. Hempstead Branch was the communities first name. In 1858 the area was renamed, this time after an Algonquin Indian Chief Miniolagamika, but the name was later shortened to “Mineola.” Winthrop University Hospital, founded in 1896 by local residents in Mineola as Nassau Hospital, was Long Island’s first voluntary hospital. The village was incorporated in 1906.